Programs not accepting input?

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Sun Mar 26 20:31:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 11:16:36AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >On Sun, 2006-Mar-26 17:50:09 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >>In the last month or two I've seen increasing occurrences of programs
> >>refusing keyboard input after they've been running for a while
> >>(between hours and days).  They still respond to the mouse.  At first
> >>I thought it was hardware, but it happens on a number of different
> >>machines, and only with certain programs, all of them X clients.
> >>Here's an overview (system names are simply to show that they're
> >>different machines).
> >
> >Is the problem that the clients aren't taking focus or have focus but
> >aren't accepting keyboard input?
> >
> >My work system runs separate X servers on two heads (rather than ximerama)
> >and I have problems with windows occasionally refusing to accept focus
> >after I move the pointer from screen to screen (though I can get an
> >alternative window to accept focus and then switch back to the window I
> >originally wanted).  This started after an X.org upgrade but I'm not sure
> >which one.
>
> I've noticed that KDE's window manager, especially the version currently in
> ports, seems to occasionally have focus management problems.  If I use
> ctrl-alt-tab to manually switch the focus, keyboard and some mouse input
> works properly, and after a program exits, things start working right.  I

I'm seeing focus problems every few months running WindowMaker, also
in a 2 head configuration.
The focus stick with one window - you can close that one using mouse,
but you still won't be able get focus on another window.
A restart of windowmaker won't help, so far I was forced doing a
complete X restart whenever this happened.
Not shure when it started, likely with an update from an old XFree to
an Xorg release (installed xorg-6.8.2).

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de