newbus questions

Artem 'ZaZooBred' Ignatiev zazubrik at mail.ru
Mon Mar 20 14:12:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16/03/2006 at 15:48 +0100, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > Looks like I'm totally newbie there. I've created small saa_if.m
file,
> > with CODE section, declaring two small debug functions, and two METHODS,
> > DEFAULTing to that functions. Now I want to update Makefile so that
> > typing ``make depend'' will produce .c and .h from the .m file. Looks
> > like /sys/conf/kmod.mk lists all .m files by name, and deals with them
> > on one-by-one basis, so I must manually insert all that awk -f ...
> > invocations for these targets, am I right?
> Not necessarily. You should put saa_if.m into kmod.mk, yes, but you should
> actually somewhere use it.
>
> > Or had I overlooked feature of automated codegeneration just in
> > Makefile?
>
> Could you show your Makefile? I think you are missing something there - like
> saa_if.h and saa_if.c, maybe...

well, I've just added 'saa_if.c saa_if.m' to SRCS, and defined two
targets:
.m.h:
	awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk ${.ALLSRC} -h
.m.c:
	awk -f @tools/makeobjops.awk ${.ALLSRC} -c

and now it works.

I would also like to thank you for tip to call device_add_child
manually, after that my subdriver automatically found the device to
probe.

> > P.S. I suppose, that it's worth to create some useful doc with skeleton
> > bus driver, one dummy method, and child driver overriding that method.
> > (As to me, the latest task is the easiest, at least I know how to do
> > this, e.g., PCI device overriding probe method).
>
> Any idea how? Maybe manpage patch? You know, every one welcomed :)

I think it will be a small article, with skeleton of bus device driver
and skeleton of driver for device on that bus, since that is really easy
once you know how.

> > P.P.S Hey, that's my birthday! So I would like a toast to all BSD
> > developers, core team and hackers
> Mnoga ljeta, mnoga ljeta, mnoga ljeta... :)

Thanks!