GBDE mounts on top of other mounts (sshfs ?) fail ... please help

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Fri Mar 17 17:02:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Anish Mistry wrote:

> On Thursday 16 March 2006 19:45, Ensel Sharon wrote:
> > I have successfully configured and used a GBDE.  I followed these
> > instructions:
> >
> > http://0x06.sigabrt.de/howtos/freebsd_encrypted_image_howto.html
> >
> > Easy.  No problem.
> >
> > However, when I place the backing-store-file on a mounted sshfs
> > (fuse) volume, it no longer works.  Specifically, when I issue
> > command:
> >
> > gbde init /dev/md0 -i -L /etc/gbde/md0
> >
> > and save the resulting file that opens in my editor (without making
> > any changes, as usual), after typing in my passphrase twice, I get
> > this error:
> >
> > Enter new passphrase:
> > Reenter new passphrase:
> > gbde: write: Input/output error
> > #
> >

> > Is this expected ?  Is this a specific problem with fuse-fs, or
> > would this fail if I tried to put the backing store on any kind of
> > other mounted abnormal filesystem ? (say an NFS mount, or another
> > md-backed mount point)
> >
> > Any comments ?  I would really like  to get this to work and would
> > be happy to run more tests if someone could suggest some.

> I don't have an answer for you, but you may want to contact Csaba Henk
> <csaba.henk at creo.hu> about the fuse stuff.

I don't think this is a FUSE problem (someone correct me if I am
wrong) ... I don't know a lot about unionfs, but does this involve unionfs
since I am putting a mount point on top of a mount point ?  (md mount on
top of a sshfs mount) ?

I was reading about how there are problems with unionfs on FreeBSD 6.0,
and I wonder if these are those problems, or if I am experiencing
something completely different ?

thank uyou.