Modifying and compiling openpam / passwd.c

Mr CW mrcomputerwiz at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 13 21:03:59 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm working on a personal-learning project using FreeBSD 5.4 that requires
me to recompile passwd.c.  My deliema is simple:  I want to be able to make
changes to /usr/src/contrib/openpam/lib/pam_get_authtok.c and have these
changes compiled into passwd.

First I ran "make all install" in /usr/src/usr.bin/passwd but this did not
incorporate the changes into the passwd executable.  Thinking that I need to
rebuild OpenPAM, I have been trying to run ./configure in
/usr/src/contrib/openpam, however when I run "make all" the make errors out
by saying:

../libtool: line 321: s%^.*/%%: No such file or directory
[snip - many more libtool errors between these]
../libtool: line 718: -e: command not found
: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `'
*** Error code 1

I am writing this question to the hackers list because it does not appear
(to me) to be a regular user question.  Rebuilding ps was simple enough, but
I must be missing something with passwd.

Thank you for your consideration,

J. Hunt