wireless on a laptop

GB Clark gclarkii at vsservices.com
Sun Mar 5 06:37:14 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:30:36 +0100
Florent Thoumie <flz at xbsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 February 2006 17:40, Chuck Lever wrote:
> > hi all-
> >
> > i have a D-Link DWL-G650M PCCard (Atheros) and an IBM T40 laptop.  they
> > don't want to talk with each other.
> >
> > the T40 has a built in Aironet, but the driver generates "received 194
> > bytes, expected 196 bytes" messages in the system log, and i can't get
> > it to work.
> >
> > so i bought this Atheros-based super-G card.
> >
> > the problem is the cardbus infrastructure doesn't seem to recognize the
> > card.  even if i "kldload if_ath".
> >
> > i'm new to FreeBSD, so any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Atheros Super-G cards are not (yet?) supported.
>
> I think your best bet is to use ndis(4) (see ndisgen(8)).
>
> --
> Florent Thoumie
> flz at FreeBSD.org
> FreeBSD Committer
Greetings,

I use a D-Link DWL-G650B2/TP600E combo under FreeBSD 6 with the ath driver and get
G+ speeds, but only when I'm connecting to my D-Link AP, though.

Note, it is not enough to just do a "kldload if_ath", you have to load the HAL
("kldload ath_hal" and then load the primary driver.  Do a "man ath" for the
details.

GClarkII

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii at VSServices.COM | General Geek