FLEX, was Re: Return value of malloc(0)

Randall Hyde randyhyde at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 29 22:22:17 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----

These guys would be just me, and I'm quite aware of HLASM. Of course, the term "High Level Assembler" predated IBM's HLASM by many years (indeed, the phrase was used a bit in the late 1960s, see Salomon's book for details).

>This isn't an x86 assembler like HLA - it's a z/Architecture
>(mainframe) assembler, very different beast indeed.

Yes, their concept of "High Level" meant fancy macro facilities. Not back for a 1980's-era assembler.

>But - they may want to pick a new name, lest they incur the wrath
>of IBM's lawyers.   I think IBM took that name in the 80s.

Again, the generic term High Level Assembler predated HLASM, and HLA and HLASM are two different things. Further, there was an HLA for the Amiga some time back. Again, it's not like this term is terribly original.  And I seriously doubt if IBM really cares at this point.

>Also - it seems that 'webster.cs.ucr.edu' has gone missing
>from DNS somehow; so I wasn't able to look at the source, although
>I was able to look at the web pages thanks to Yahoo's cache.

Hmmm...
Webster is a relatively famous site, so that's unusual.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde