Return value of malloc(0)

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Jun 29 19:27:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 11:44:23AM -0400, Pat Lashley wrote:
> >The C Standard says the following about malloc(0):
> >
> >  If the size of the space requested is zero, the behavior is
> >  implementation-defined: either a null pointer is returned, or the
> >  behavior is as if the size were some nonzero value, except that the
> >  returned pointer shall not be used to access an object.
> >
> >So our default behaviour to crash if a pointer returned by malloc(0) is
> >dereferenced is legal and a good one because it catches errors like the
> >above one.
>
> No, our implementation is NOT legal.  We always return the SAME value.  To
> be legal, we should not return that value again unless it has been
> free()-ed.
>
>        first = malloc(0) ;
>        second = malloc(0) ;
>
>        if ( first == second )  ERROR( "C standards violation" ) ;

Almost.  The test should be

	if ( first != NULL && first == second)  ERROR( "C standards violation" ) ;

It is after all legal for malloc(0) to return NULL.

Otherwise you are correct.  Having malloc(0) always returning the same
(non-NULL) value is not legal according to the C standard.

C99 says:

7.20.3 Memory management functions
[...]  Each such allocation shall yield a pointer to an object disjoint from
any other object. [...] If the size of the space requested is zero, the