Database on 6.1/AMD64 ?

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 09:51:28 UTC 2006

Hugo Silva wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm considering switching a database server to FreeBSD 6.1/AMD64. The
> Opteron processor I am interested in is a dual core.
>
> I would like to know about any stories using FreeBSD/AMD64, MySQL 5.0,
> and two dual core processors. Will I have stability/performance issues
> ?
> Will the two dual cores kick ass, or will they give me trouble ?

I might be out of date, but as far as I know MySQL performance on
FreeBSD is still quite far behind Linux. So if you want to get the
absolute best performance then you might want to run Linux.

Search the mailing lists for MySQL performance and you should find
lots of discussion and benchmarks on the topic.

HTH,
Dominic