Buses, devices and modules

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jun 25 01:17:49 UTC 2006

In message: <922B6543-53D0-4877-9E97-B9ED1CDACFA8 at mail.ru>
            Artem Ignatiev <zazubrik at mail.ru> writes:
: When I do 'echo mydev_load="YES" >>/boot/loader.conf', loader loads
: both mydev.ko and mybus.ko, and mybus.ko attaches properly, but
: mydev.ko don't attach to anything.
:
: I suppose this happens because mydev happens to probe for devices
: before mybus creates them, and fails to find anything to attach to.
:
: I'm looking for way to trigger the mydev driver to re-probe after the
: mybus driver actually creates the devices, or may be I'm missing
: something simple (like priority of module probing)?

re-probing is automatic for all instances of bus FOO when a driver
that has a FOO attachment is loaded.  If the FOO bus driver creates a
child device, then they are responsible for calling
device_probe_and_attach on it.

Warner