A New FreeBSD Server

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Sat Jun 24 18:49:00 UTC 2006

Bob Richards wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> This is my first post here. I believe it is the correct list for my questions. If not,
> please excuse me and direct me to the proper list.
>
> I have been using Linux as my WorkStation since V0.98 Kernel, so I know a bit about NIX's
> I am giving up on Linux for various reasons which I won't go into here.

Welcome to FreeBSD land.. :)

> I am setting up a Dell 2400 Server for FreeBSD use. I ordered the Big $79.00 CD/Manual set
> for 6.1, and it should arrive in a few days. In the mean time I am setting up the server.
>
> The Dell, a dual CPU machine, has a PERC 2/Si controler, with 6 17GB drives. I am in the
> process of verifying/formating the individual drives as I type. The next step will be to
> create containers, which will appear as DRIVES to the new OS.
>
> My question is what is the best configuration for FreeBsd? I want some form of RAID, and
> as fast a file system as is possible. I will be doing a very COMPLETE install, as I like
> to do things like switch from KDE to Gnome once in a while, and have tons of office-type
> apps. I need a full "C" development system, as well as a complete FreePascal setup. My CVS
> Repository is around 10GB, and my Home dir currently has 10GB of additional stuff :-(
>
> Swap drive, should probably be a piece of one of the 17GB drives (NO RAID) the Box has
> 500MB ram......

One way to do this would be to set up two drives as a mirror, and the
other 4 drives as either a RAID 5, or for more performance a RAID10 (a
mirrored pair of 2 disk stripes).

Once you've got the OS installed, you'll want to check out the ports
collection (make sure you install it during the install) - cd to
/usr/ports/ and look around.  The Handbook (on freebsd.org) is
absolutely incredible, and tells you nearly everything you need to know
about nearly everything FreeBSD related, so I'd suggest looking at the
section on the ports collection.  There are roughly 15,000 ports that
you can install easily, to get your KDE/GNOME environment just how you
want it.

Eric