Quotas not working in 6.1+?

Jaye Mathisen mrcpu at mathisen.org
Sat Jun 24 06:46:46 UTC 2006

Quotas don't seem to be working. Or whatever I did in 5.x that worked
fine has subtly changed in such a way that I can't see the documentation
differences.

>From single user mode, mount -o userquota -t ufs /dev/ad0s1e /usr mounts fine without
any messages, but mount doesn't show it having quota enabled.

sl4# ls -l /usr/*quot*
-rw-r-----  1 root  operator  2097120 Jun 23 22:28 /usr/quota.group
-rw-r-----  1 root  operator  2097120 Jun 24 01:16 /usr/quota.user
sl4# quotaon -va
quotaon: using /usr/quota.group on
quotaon: /usr: Operation not supported
quotaon: using /usr/quota.user on
quotaon: /usr: Operation not supported
sl4# uname -a
FreeBSD sl4.mathisen.org 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Sat Jun 24 00:19:50 PDT 2006     root at sl4.mathisen.org:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/S4  i386
sl4# grep quo /etc/fstab
/dev/ad0s1e             /usr            ufs     rw,userquota,groupquota 2       2
sl4# grep -i quo /sys/i386/conf/S4
options         QUOTA
sl4# grep quo /etc/rc.conf
check_quotas="YES"
enable_quotas="YES"
sl4# sysctl -a | grep quo
net.inet.icmp.quotelen: 8
security.bsd.unprivileged_get_quota: 0
sl4# strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep -i quot
getquota
vfs_stdquotactl
setquota
ufs_quotactl
getinoquota
quotaon
quotaoff
quotelen
Number of bytes from original packet to quote in ICMP reply
UFS quota
unprivileged_get_quota
Unprivileged processes may retrieve quotas for other uids and gids
disk quota exceeded for too long
disk quota exceeded
inode quota exceeded
inode quota exceeded for too long
dqsync: dquot
dqget: free dquot isn't
dqflush: stray dquot
ufs_chown: lost quota
sl4# mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

A quick search on google didn't show anything really useful.