Massive apache slowdown after high load period

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 22 11:58:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Steven Hartland wrote:

> We've just had a box which was subjected to a large amount of small apache
> requests once this subsided the response of apache was still very slow. Many
> seconds between requests showing in tcpdump and response being returned.
>
> Upon investigation it seemed the number of sockets in teardown / mbufs
> allocated might be the cause has anyone else experienced that?

On 5.x SMP systems, there is a known problem in mbuf memory statistics
reporting, which has been corrected in 6.x.  The below mbuf counter is
probably a property of that known problem, and is likely unrelated to the
slowdown you have experienced.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge