PCI Express graphics reliability/functionality in 6.1?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Jun 9 02:08:17 UTC 2006

  I'm soon to build myself a new AMD X2 workstation system on which I
plan to multiboot various operating systems including FreeBSD, a couple
Linux distros and probably Windows XP Pro, and probably also run
virtualization software (VMWare and/or Xen.) I'm hoping for it to last
me through a few years of occasional upgrades, which makes me dubious
about choosing an AGP motherboard.

  I can't find anything specific about PCI Express in the 6.1 release
notes.  However, I have Googled up some reports of various PCI-E
graphic cards working badly in Xorg under FreeBSD and other open source
OSes.  In general should PCI Express graphics cards work properly and
perform reasonably well for Xorg and OpenGL graphics under FreeBSD, if
I avoid the "touchier" nVidia cards, or do I need to stick with AGP for
reliability?

  If there's a better mailing list for getting an authoritative answer
to this, I'd appreciate the pointer.
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net