disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jul 30 06:56:47 UTC 2006

:
:* Matthew Dillon (dillon at apollo.backplane.com) wrote:
:
:>     felt that 8 partitions is restrictive.  My main home server has 10
:>     and the main DragonFly box has 11.
:>
:>     There is another solution for FreeBSD folks, however.  You *DO* have
:>     four slices to play with.   You can put a disklabel with 8 partitions
:>     in it on each one (for 32 total).  It isn't as convenient, but it does
:>     work.
:About `lack' of partitions - don't forget that labels can be nested.
:Just do `bsdlabel -w /dev/ad0s1e` - you'll get /dev/ad0s1ea.
:
:--
:Best regards,
: Dmitry                          mailto:amdmi3 at mail.ru

    Oh, very cute!  A terrible hack if you ask me, but cute all the same!

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>