FBSD 5.5 and software timers

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 28 14:47:53 UTC 2006

In message: <B3BCAF4246A8A84983A80DAB50FE72424C698C at secnap2.secnap.com>
            "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell at secnap.net> writes:
: > -----Original Message-----
: > From: M. Warner Losh [mailto:imp at bsdimp.com]
: > Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:39 PM
: > To: Michael Scheidell
: > Cc: freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org
: > Subject: Re: FBSD 5.5 and software timers
:
: > libc_r depends on absolute system time to do its sleeps and
: > timeouts, and has since FreeBSD 3.4.  This dependency has
:
: Could be, but it worked up to and including 5.4.

It worked for the one simple test case that you had.  I'm not sure
what changed between 5.4 and 5.5 to break it.  I've hit similar test
cases as far back as 3.4.

: > been the result of many conversations over time, and has had
: > several patches posted. Since libc_r is dead technology,
: > there's little chance they will be adopted.
:
: I replaced libc_r with libthr and two things happen:
: One of my threads doesn't run, and it won't die (kill -9 doesn't even
: kill it)
:
: I replaced libc_r with libpthread and it immediately reboots the system!

Neither of these is good!  Does it happen on 6?

: I am going to try to nail down just what and why this happens and post
: that.
: (reminder: even if this change happened in 3.4, it didn't affect me till
: 5.5)

It might be useful to find the change.

Warner