disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Jul 28 14:43:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:33:41PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:

> "Small disk drive" means "smaller than any drive I can buy at the
> local Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA/similar". At the time, I needed an
> 80GB drive, and paid about $60 for it.

Well then your comparison isn't really fair..  Sure, a brand new hard drive
from a retail outlet is more expensive than a 10-year-old box (especially
if the box is refurbished).  No surprise there!  I thought we were
comparing oranges and oranges.  In that case, check out www.geeks.com (the
old computergeeks), they have a number of drives for sale under $49.95.

> Try http://www.pcretro.com/. Their current special is the Dell
> PowerEdge 6350 (dual CPU, 255MB ram, 2 9GB hot swap drives on separate
> controllers) for $49.95. The boxes I bought had a mouse and keyboard
> included, no monitor or speakers. Not that I cared - I tossed the
> mouse and keyboard on the spare parts pile and plugged them into a
> KVM.

-- Rick C. Petty