disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Jul 28 06:34:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:34:23PM -0400 I heard the voice of
John Baldwin, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:58, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Right. I typically install / and /usr as distinct files systems
> > for just that reason (/ and /usr have different backup & recovery
> > strategies and I use dump, so that's why they are two partitions).
> > So why does / need to be different from /var, /usr different from
> > /usr/X11R6 and /home different from /usr/local? Seriously now -
> > what I just described is my typical install.
>
> In my case I still have /home in /usr/home, but I should start
> making it separate in the hope that I could mount /usr read-only
> most of the time reducing the time it takes to fsck when I crash my
> test machines.

I have / and /usr [sometimes one partition] mounted read-only on many
of my systems.  I like the peace of mind of KNOWING nothing'll go
wonky on 'em on a crash, I like the shorter fsck times, I kinda like
knowing there's that extra (very thin, but still extant) layer of
protection against a lot of automated attacks...  And, darnit, it just
feels cleaner.  I tend to have separate /var, /tmp, /home, and
/usr/local which are kept rw since they have live and
constantly-fiddled data on them, but everything else generally ends up
ro since I only need to write them at specific discrete times.  Out of
the 11 partitions (multiple disks) on my workstation, only those 4 are
generally rw.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net