disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Steve Ames steve at energistic.com
Thu Jul 27 13:49:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:21:59PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:39:37AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > Later I wanted to mount the dfly filesystems on FreeBSD 6.1,
> > of course still my main Unix ;-) But it wasn't possible.
>
> DragonFly disklabels allow 16 entries by default, FreeBSD still limits
> it to 8. That's why you can't read it directly.

Are there plans to bump the default up from 8? I'm honestly torn on
this topic whenever I install a new system. On the one hand I like
having a lot of discrete mountpoints to control potential usage. On
the other hand with drive space being so inexpensive I sometimes
wonder if I need to bother and can get away with very few mountpoints.

On very large disks (or arrays that appear as a single disk) I have
to create multiple slices in order to get more than 8 mountpoints. Its
an extra hoop to jump through.

-steve