WINE vs. FreeBSD

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 24 15:39:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Tijl Coosemans wrote:

> On Saturday 22 July 2006 19:14, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>> WINE does have certain requirements regarding memory allocation. In
>> particular it (or Windows, rather) really wants a few memory ranges
>> for itself:
>>
>> (from wine-0.9.17/loader/preloader.c):
>>
>>  *  0x00000000 - 0x00110000  the DOS area
>>  *  0x80000000 - 0x81000000  the shared heap
>>  *  ???        - ???         the PE binary load address (usually
>> starting at 0x00400000)
>>
>> The first two are particularly important for WINE running in win98
>> (or earlier) emulation mode, which is currently completely broken on
>> FreeBSD, since those two memory ranges tend to be unavailable.
>
> The reason for the second range is that wine is located way at the end
> of the 2G range (0x7bf00000). FreeBSD's mmap preserves heap space after
> that (for brk(2) style allocations). This is about 512Mb by default so
> everything in 0x7bf00000-0x9bf00000 is unavailable (unless MAP_FIXED is
> used of course).
>
> The DOS area should be available but can't be allocated by wine because
> of a FreeBSD specific quirk in its code to work arround another mmap
> related problem.
>
> Both problems can be solved by locating wine at say 0x20000000 instead
> of 0x7bf00000. That leaves plenty of space for the windows executable
> and allows us to remove mmap related freebsd quirks from wine's code.
>
> I've attached two patches that accomplish this, but this seems to
> trigger other problems, so use at your own risk. If you want to try
> them, place them in the port's files/ directory and add a line
> containing "USE_AUTOTOOLS= autoconf:259" to the Makefile. This seems to
> break wine+libpthread, so I've also changed the port to use libthr
> instead.
>
> For the libpthread experts, I haven't investigated that much further
> yet, but libpthread seems to fail in create_stack() from
> _pthread_create() from _thr_start_sig_daemon().

See my response to this in a previous reply to this thread.  libthr
and libpthread use LDT's for TLS.  WINE is stomping on them because
it doesn't properly create LDTs.  This is not a problem with either
of the thread libraries and this issue has been known ever since we
implemented TLS years ago.

--
DE