Programs not accepting input?

Sergey Babkin babkin at verizon.net
Thu Jul 20 11:31:14 UTC 2006

>From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au>

>To resurrect a fairly old thread...
>
>On Mon, 2006-Mar-27 11:23:42 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>On Sunday, 26 March 2006 at 19:17:19 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> My work system runs separate X servers on two heads (rather than
>>> ximerama) and I have problems with windows occasionally refusing to
>>> accept focus after I move the pointer from screen to screen (though
>>> I can get an alternative window to accept focus and then switch back
>>> to the window I originally wanted).  This started after an X.org
>>> upgrade but I'm not sure which one.
>>
>>Interesting.  I've seen this one too: my mail window is at the left of
>>the right-hand monitor on wantadilla (:0.1).  Frequently when I move
>>from :0.0 to 0:1, the window manager will highlight the window on
>>:0.1, but focus remains with some window on :0.0.  If I move further
>>right and then back again, focus catches up with the correct window.
>
>I've been keeping a closer eye on my problem.  I'm using fvwm1 with
>click-to-focus and lose-focus-on-screen-switch.  If I move from one
>screen to another and quickly click on a window, the border changes
>colour to indicate that it has focus but keyboard input is ignored.

This is likely an fvwm1 problem. I use it too (without
2 monitors) and after some time something gets broken in
its focus handling, and the windows stop getting focus.
Restarting fvwm clears up the problem.

>>That's mainly irritating; the problem I describe above is annoying.
>
>Did you get anywhere in debugging it?

BTW, I've promised Greg a script to dump the X protocol
from binary log, then I was busy and and forgot about it.
Is there still any interest in this tool?

-SB