odd behavior in apache 2.0.58 today

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Tue Jul 18 18:10:18 UTC 2006

Had a little crash today, that appears to be apache related, but is
confusing nonetheless.

My server hosts a fair amount of websites, but nothing crazy. Uptime is
usually only 0.5. Anyway, it got real slow, when I finally logged in,
uptime was 152, ps -aux showed alot of apache pids, over a 100 (its
usually 10 or so), and a netstat -an showed alot of connections to port
80. The odd thing though was all the connections were CLOSED_WAIT

Machine is running 6-STABLE, and has 1Gb of memory, with a HT P4 3.2 GHz.
And the HT has been turned on, even though its disabled by default.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Is there maybe an issue with apache that
triggered something, or maybe it was just a random DoS attack.

Thanks
John