kern/99979: Get Ready for Kernel Module in C++

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 11 18:41:37 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 12:33, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200607111115.59844.jhb at freebsd.org>
>             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
> : and OS X both of which I've written a PCI driver for) we require device
> : driver writers to go through a lot more hoops to do certain things like
> : allocate resources.  At the very least there is much that can be improved
in
> : our driver model.
>
> bus_alloc_resources goes a long ways in this respect.

Yes, but in OS X I didn't even have to do that.  All I had to do was ask it to
map a BAR if I wanted to use it.  It already "allocated" all the resources
regardless.  Windows was the same way (though a bit weirder, you get a
message that lists all your resources and you have to map them if you want to
use them).

--
John Baldwin