kern/99979: Get Ready for Kernel Module in C++

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jul 11 16:34:06 UTC 2006

In message: <1152629241.24779 at origin.intron.ac>
            mag at intron.ac writes:
: You can LOOK DOWN UPON me again and again. But is it really your patent,
: a FreeBSD security team member's patent: you know what FreeBSD kernel
: and C++ is, but I am too BRAINLESS to understand FreeBSD kernel and C++?

I don't think anybody thinks you are brainless to understand kernel
and C++.  Many people here have actually done C++ experiements with
the FreeBSD kernel, and to date those experiments have all failed
badly.  If you'd like to do such an experiment yourself, please by all
means feel free.  When you have more experimental evidence to support
the claims you are making, we'd love to see it.  However, given then
extreme pain than many of the kernel developers have had with C++ in
the kernel, the burdon of proof will be on those advocating C++ as
being better proving with real code their assertions.

As to your other points, the resource allocation repetition has been
improved with bus_alloc_resources.  the trouble is that many drivers
haven't been converted to use the new api.

Warner