Alternative compiler toolchain ?

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Jul 1 23:17:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 12:43:24AM +0200, joerg at britannica.bec.de wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 03:37:55PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 08:50:08PM +0300, Maslan wrote:
> > > There is also NwCC under BSDL but it still not as mature as gcc
> > > http://nwcc.sf.net
> > >

> > "not as mature as gcc" is an amazing understatement. nwcc has
> > no floating point support.
>
> Makes it ideal for the kernel, I'd say :-)

It depends.  If nwcc has no knowledge of floating point
registers, then the optimized npx bzero and copyin/copyout
operations aren't available.  Nothing like a slow kernel.

It is also noted on the nwcc webpage that it does not
support bitfields.  Are bitfields absent from the kernel.

Additionally, the OP wants a toolchain to replace gcc.
FreeBSD is more than a kernel.

--
Steve