Warnings compiling a KLD #including vnode.h

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:06:34 PST 2006

On 1/29/06, Sergey Uvarov <uvarovsl at mail.pnpi.spb.ru> wrote:
> Pranav Peshwe wrote:
> > Hello,
> >          I am trying to write a pretty simple KLD.It compiles and
> > works correctly.
> >
> > But,if i #include vnode.h in the KLD then i get a number of warnings saying :
> >
> > @/sys/vnode.h:597: warning: "struct vop_lease_args" declared inside
> > parameter list
> > @/sys/vnode.h:597: warning: its scope is only this definition or
> > declaration, which is probably not what you want
>
> Put vnode_if.h in to SRCS clause of your Makefile:
>
> SRCS = vnode_if.h <all your source files>
>
> In this case vnode_if.h will be properly built.
>
> Sergey.

Thank you !!
The errors and also the warnings are gone.I had to do the same things
for a couple of other files like device_if.h and bus_if.h
What are these files for ? i found them in the
/sys/i386/compile/config-name/  directory.Most of the header files in
that dir have a '_if' suffix and are dealing with kobj code,but what
about the rest ? Why are they not kept(like other headers) in the
/sys/sys or /sys/kern dirs ?

TIA.

Regards,
Pranav