CPU/case/disk temperature sensors for Dell PowerEdge 2850

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jan 26 10:04:56 PST 2006

Hi,

Sorry for jumping into this thread.
I have the same problem, but on different hardware.

Bruno Ducrot <ducrot at poupinou.org> wrote:
 > > > First, install sysutils/freeipmi, then try it by this command:
 > > > # bmc-info

It hangs forever.  "bmc-config -o" prints a few lines
(starts with "Section User1" and doesn't seem useful),
then also hangs forever.

Oh, by thy way, my machine is a HP ProLiant DL360 G4
(formerly Compaq).

 > > > If it don't work, or loop forever, please install
 > > > dmidecode (sysutils/dmidecode) then give us the output from
 > > > it for the type entry 38 (IPMI Device Information).

That prints quite a lot of information, which is even
partially useful (e.g. it lists the configration of
the RAM DIMM slots, CPUs and the machine serial number).
Thanks for mentioning that tool!

However -- no type 38.  :-(

 > The DMI stuff is more or less optional.  If not present, this won't
 > means IPMI is not there.  For both Dell 2550 (this time..) and the
 > Supermicros, if there are some remote cards control then FreeIPMI should
 > work even if no such handle does not exist at all.

The DL360 has such remote control stuff, too.

 > If this won't work, for the supermicro at least I
 > think sysutils/mbmon may work.

That was the first thing I've tried.  No go.  I've also
tried other similar ports (lmmon, healthd).  Same thing.

 > Back to the Dell 2850, the problem is the 'Register Spacing:
 > 32-bit Boundaries' line.
 > FreeIPMI 0.1.3 does not implement this feature and use
 > always the default 8-bit boundary.  The symptom is that bmc-info
 > hang forever.
 >
 > Fortunately, the next release will include this support.  By now,
 > there is a beta available but no port has been done.
 >
 > By now, you can try to copy the attached file to
 > ports/sysutils/freeipmi/files
 > and rebuild the port.

I compiled the port with that patch file, but the symptom
didn't change.  Still hangs forever.

Any further advice would be very welcome.  Also, if I can
provide any information, just tell me what you need.

Best regards
   Oliver

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
        -- Robert Firth