FreeBSD 6.0 default pty/tty-limit (256) OFF!

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 26 04:46:51 PST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Robert Watson wrote:

> FYI, there's also a tty_pts.c floating around, based on some work I did at
> McAfee a couple of years ago, that implements /dev/ptmx and /dev/pts for
> FreeBSD.  Among other things, it removes the limit on the number pty's, and
> adopts the Sys V pty naming convention.  While there are upsides and
> downsides to the naming convention, it does attempt to normalize the way we
> handle pty's, as well as removing the requirement for root privilege in
> order to allocate and properly protect a pty.  I have an older version at
> http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/pts/.  However, it's fairly dated, and
> may not work due to other changes since it was written (I've not looked to
> see).  I've tried several times to trick developers into picking it up and
> doing the last remaining work to make it real -- largely what's required is
> work on the forward/backward compatibility issue, that and extensive testing
> and a security audit.  It would be nice to ship 7.x with these changes as it
> would resolve a lot of problems.

As a follow-up, Olivier Houchard just committed tty_pts.c and supporting libc
pieces to 7-CURRENT; you can find details in the HEADS UP post on
freebsd-current.  By default the limit is 1000 pty's, but that can be
increased.  Testing most welcome.

Robert N M Watson