tuning to run large (1000+) numbers of null_mounts

David S. Madole david at madole.net
Wed Jan 18 10:21:49 PST 2006

From: "Ensel Sharon" <user at dhp.com>

> I am running over 2000 null mounts on a FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE system.  I
> am
> well aware of the status of the null_mount code, as advertised in the
> mount_nullfs man page:
>
> I am noticing both system instability and data corruption issues on
> disk
> following crashes.  Both of these seem to be related to the null
> mounts.  I have two very quick questions:

For what it's worth, I have three null mounts on each of eight
5.4-RELEASE systems that are read/write and have extensive activity and I
have not had a single filesystem problem in 15 months of this
configuration.

But 2000 of them? I don't know, I've never envisioned 2000 of any kind of
mount.

David