Ricoh PCI to SD device?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jan 10 21:35:38 PST 2006

In message: <20060109183738.GA4822 at odin.ac.hmc.edu>
            Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
: On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:12:30AM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
: > Has anyone had a look at the following:
: >
: > none1 at pci3:1:2: class=0x080501 card=0x01aa1028 chip=0x08221180 rev=0x17 hdr=0x00
: >     vendor   = 'Ricoh Co Ltd'
: >     device   = 'SD Bus Host Adapter'
: >     class    = base peripheral
: >
: > This shows up on my new Dell XPS-170 laptop.  Since there is no USB
: > attachment for the SD card reader, I can only surmise that this is
: > it.  Is someone looking at this, or is this completely new?
:
: People are looking at it, but there are no docs available.  Apparently,
: there is some work being done to reverse engineer it.  Linux doesn't
: support it either.

It does support the SDA Standard SD Host Adapter Interface.  However,
The standard costs $1000 (if you are a member of the SD Association,
which I think is $1800 a year), and comes with an NDA so restrictive
that you'll be lucky to release a binary only version of your driver.

I'm working on a port of FreeBSD to an embedded platform.  For that
platform, we'll need to read data from MMC/SD cards.  To do that,
we'll need a mmc/sd disk driver, a mmc/sd bus and a mmc/sd bridge.
This should give us a fairly good architecture to write a bridge
driver for the SDA Standard SD Host Adapter Interface should someone
ever figure out the interface.  Tantalizing clues are available for
the dilligent searcher on the web (the wikipedia entry for SD cards is
especially enlightening).  I have no plans to implement a the standard
SD interface.

Warner