Poweredge 2850 keyboard problem

Andy K ajk at f2s.com
Mon Feb 13 16:38:51 PST 2006

Hi all,

Having "googled" for my problem, the only thread I
can find is this one which doesn't appear to have a
solution:-

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-April/011579.html

I recently got two Dell Poweredge servers. A 1425 and
a 2850. I installed 6.0-RELEASE onto both. With the
1425 I have no problem, but with the 2850 the keyboard
fails to work at all.

Some details; The keyboard is plugged into the standard
"purple" kb input. It works fine when setting up bios
options, perc4 controller set-up, etc. The keyboard works
fine also if I boot into single user mode. However, if
I do a normal boot into multi-user mode (the keyboard
works fine when selecting a boot option) then when I
get to the login prompt, no keyboard input at all.

I tried a USB keyboard also. Same result, works ok for
bios setting and single user mode but just doesn't work
in multi-user mode. Oddly, the Dell USB kb I have also
has a USB optical mouse connected to the keybd. When I
plug in, I see the kernel messages popup on the console
telling me a kb and mouse have been connected. The mouse
works fine (pointer appears and can be moved and selection
made) but the keyboard stubbornly refuses to do anything.

Any ideas anyone? (I saw a thread somewhere that upgrading
the kernel and world fixed it, however, I've cvsuped to
6-STABLE, new world and kernel and the problem still there.

It's a dual processor system but same problem with GENERIC
and a custom kernel.

regards
Andy