Capturing Parallel Port Data

Mr CW mrcomputerwiz at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 15:54:12 PST 2006

Thank you for the pointers.  It sounds like reading data back from the
parallel port is not a common thing to do, although I thought parallel port
projects might have done this.  Then I realized that most PIC programmers,
parallel port displays, etc. usually only receive data, not send it back to
the computer...

I'm still looking into this, so any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks again,

-J

On Friday 15 December 2006 05:32, Mr CW wrote:
 > Now, my real question is:  how do I read data from the parallel port on
the
 > FreeBSD computer that is coming from the tester which is trying to
'print'
 > to the FBSD computer's parallel port?  Is there a suggested pinout for a
 > parallel crossover calbe to accomplish this task with ppi?  Is the
 > crossover cable even required?

I think you would need to wire ACK to STROBE at the very least.. I kind of
suspect you'd need to write a ppbus driver because lpt only returns the
printer status when read.

 > Finally, is there a FBSD-sanctioned parallel port driver for use with
Perl
 > instead of using ppi and C?

It would be pretty easy to write a wrapper to use ppi in Perl (eg SWIG)

are so many of them to choose from."
   -- Andrew Tanenbaum

<< attach3 >>