amd64 questions

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Aug 26 23:10:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-Aug-26 15:43:26 -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
>In <20060826192418.GA82155 at troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> typed:
>> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:40:24PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> > In <20060826180900.GA81762 at troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> typed:
>Yup. If you tell it -L/usr/lib32 (which gets installed if you build the
>world with WITH_LIB32 defined), it'll find that. Then complain because
>/lib/crt1.o is the 64 bit one. If I use the command line arguments:
>
>-m32 -nostartfiles /usr/lib32/crt1.o /usr/lib32/crti.o /usr/lib32/crtbegin.o /usr/lib32/crtend.o /usr/lib32/crtn.o -L/usr/lib32
>
>simple programs build and run properly.

The incorrect linking path is fixable by doctoring the "specs" file
used by gcc (see the output of 'gcc -dumpspecs').  There have been
occasional threads in freebsd-amd64 about getting i386 mode fully
working but I don't think any of them have proceeded beyond agreeing
that there is still some work to be done in this area.  If you feel
that you have the time/skills to address some of these problems, your
input would be valued.

>> AFAIK, you can't rebuild the base system compiler with multilib
>> because it is integrated into the FreeBSD tree without the full
>> gcc configury.

I'm not sure that this is totally true because we're only talking
about i386 and amd64 - both of which are in the FreeBSD tree and
the default amd64 buildworld does build the i386 bits.

This is a known deficiency.  Again, check the -amd64 archives.  Note
that there are still problems with the emulation system: You can run
things like 'lame' successfully, but I've never managed to get (eg)
java to work.

OOo2.0 should (and generally does) build.  The entire OOo port seems
very fragile and occasionally breaks for no obvious reason.  I don't
recall ever seeing the recommendation to use the Linux build, though.
If you have problems with building OOo on a reasonably up-to-date
-stable or -current amd64 system, with an up-to-date ports tree, I
suggest you take it up on freebsd-openoffice.

--
Peter Jeremy