amd64 questions

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Aug 26 18:09:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:00:51PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:

> 1) The compiler can build i386 binaries, but the toolchain in general
>    doesn't do the right thing with the -m32 flag.

I believe that this may be false because the compiler is
not built with multilib enabled.

> 2) The system can run i386 binaries, but the pkg system doesn't
>    support installing packages from other architectures.

I don't understand your 'but' clause.  You can run i386 binaries
on amd64.  You can install i386 packages on an amd64 system, if
the port maintainer hasn't used the arch_only=i386 make variable.

If you mean installing and running sparc64 or powerpc packages
on amd64, then you are correct.

> 3) openoffice doesn't build on amd64, and the i386 build doesn't run
>    on amd64, so the recommended way to run openoffice on amd64 is to
>    run the Linux build.

Openoffice builds just fine on 6.1.  You need to specify WITHOUT_MOZILLA.

--
Steve