About loader(8) forth

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 23 12:25:59 UTC 2006

Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > Matteo Riondato wrote:
 > > Just to have a try, I replaced /boot/beastie.4th with file a
 > > containing only:
 > >
 > > ." Welcome to FreeSBIE"
 > > exit
 > >
 > > then I deleted the line mentioning beastie-start from /boot/loader.rc
 > > and rebooted my machine.
 > [...]
 > I think putting "exit" directly into beastie.4th (which is
 > included by loader.rc) is not a good idea.  You should use
 > "exit" only within a function that you define in beastie.4th
 > and then call that function from loader.rc, just like the
 > standard files do.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the word `` ." '' cannot be
used in interpret mode, but only in interpret mode (i.e.
when defining a function).  You should either put it inside
a function, as suggested above, or use `` .( '' instead
which works in interpret mode, like this:

.( Welcome to FreeSBIE)

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The last good thing written in C was
Franz Schubert's Symphony number 9."