exception handling in kernel code

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 14 18:15:28 UTC 2006

Stanislav Sedov wrote this message on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 19:47 +0600:
> I've implemented driver to allow user-level code to read MSRs (Model
> specific registers) (like linux's /dev/cpu/msr). It's required for
> some programs like x86info.
>
> As long as not all MSRs documented and reading/writing unexistent MSR
> leads to GP fault, I need to recover in that case.

You should make a MD API for reading these out (if one doesn't already
exist) that handle the faulting for you, and then have your driver hook
into this api...

I had to do something similar for accessing PCI config registers
that don't exist and cause a fault...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579