Questions about devices and input.

Intron mag at intron.ac
Mon Aug 14 06:49:14 UTC 2006

Dag-Erling  [iso-8859-1] Smo/rgrav wrote:

> "Sean Bryant" <bryants at gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm writing some cd buring software using burncd as a reference. I was
>> wondering if its possible to detect opening and closing of the doors.
>
> Unfortunately, no.  The drive may not even have a door.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smo/rgrav - des at des.no

Mr. smo/rgrav loves playing joke very much. But most of CD/DVD drives
have a door, though generally speaking, software cannot detect the
open/close status of a door directly. However, software can command the
drive to open/close its door.

please see the source of cdcontrol(1):

     /usr/src/usr.sbin/cdcontrol/cdcontrol.c

In the function "int run (int cmd, char *arg)":

          case CMD_CLOSE:
          case CMD_EJECT: