SoC: help with LISTs and killing procs

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 10 18:05:59 UTC 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 12:17, Divacky Roman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:43:05AM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:

correct what is the wait_for_proc_to_vanish()

> > > I dont understand. I am protecting the lock by a rw_rlock();
> > >
> > > the exit_hook() then acquires rw_wlock(); when removing the entry.
> > > what exactly do you suggest me to do? I dont get it.
> >
> > This can't be the case.  If you're holding a read lock around the
> > loop (it must cover the entire loop), it should not be possible for the
> > exit_hook() to obtain a write lock while you are in the loop.  Just to
> > verify, is the lock for the list and not per element?
>
> oh.. I see whats going on.. in the exit_hook I am doing this:
>

>      	em = em_find(p->p_pid, EMUL_UNLOCKED);	// this performs
EMUL_RLOCK(&emul_lock);
> 	EMUL_RUNLOCK(&emul_lock);
>
> 	EMUL_WLOCK(&emul_lock);
> 	LIST_REMOVE(em, threads);
> 	SLIST_REMOVE(&emuldata_head, em, linux_emuldata, emuldatas);
> 	EMUL_WUNLOCK(&emul_lock);
>
> the EMUL_RUNLOCK() unlocks it so it doesnt wait. This should be turned into
rw_try_upgrade()
> but I dont understand how ;(

You could make em_find() take an argument to specify if it should acquire
a WLOCK instead of an RLOCK.  Really, unless you have measured a lot of
contention on this lock, you should just make it a mtx, and only go back and
make it a rwlock if it really needs it.  Also, you currently can't do an
interlocked msleep() or cv_wait() with a rwlock, so you really need to use a
mutex anyway.

> anyway, I still dont understand how should I use the lock to achieve the
synchronization.

> my code looks like:
>
> 	EMUL_RLOCK(&emul_lock);
>       	LIST_FOREACH_SAFE(em, &td_em->shared->threads, threads, tmp_em) {
> 	}
> 	EMUL_RUNLOCK(&emul_lock);
>
> what do you suggest? I need to process the list first and then let the
exit_hook in the various processes run.

This is not safe anyway.  kill() is way too big of a function to call with a
lock held.  You also pass the wrong thread to it IIRC (you should always pass
curthread as the td argument to a syscall).  You probably need to use
psignal, and you probably should be doing something like this:

	EMUL_LOCK();
	LIST_FOREACH(td, &td_em->shared->threads, threads) {
		p = td->td_proc;
		PROC_LOCK(p);
		psignal(p, SIGKILL);
		PROC_UNLOCK(p);
	}

	while (THREADS_STILL_AROUND(&td->em))
		msleep(td_em, &emul_lock, PWAIT, "foo", 0);
	EMUL_UNLOCK();

Then in your exit_hook you should do this:

	em = em_find(p->p_pid, EMUL_UNLOCKED);
	LIST_REMOVE(...);
	SLIST_REMOVE(...);
	wakeup(em);