NFS Problems

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Aug 8 11:24:35 UTC 2006

On 08/07/06 20:10, Joseph Maxwell wrote:
> Hope I have the right site here
>
> Hello,
>
> Indigo2 machine in network w/ FreeBSD, both configured for nfs server/client
> functions, and "nfsd" daemon running on both.
>
> IRIX idaho 6.5 04101930 IP22
>
> FreeBSD presto 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT
> 2000     jkh at bento.FreeBSD.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
> (Yes an old system inst. on an infrequently used critical and stable point
> in our system. Not eager to perturb.)
>
> FreeBSD machine mounts IRIX disks OK, but Indigo2 does not mount FreeBSD
> disks.
>
> Changed to manual approach
>
> Setup fstab:
> /dev/root / xfs rw,raw=/dev/rroot 0 0
> /dev/dsk/dks0d2s7 /disk_02/ xfs rw 0 0
> /swap/swap1 swap swap pri=2 0 0
> /vswap/vswap1 swap swap pri=5,vlength=409600 0 0
> /vswap/vswap2 swap swap pri=5,vlength=1024000 0 0
> presto:/usr /diskA-1 nfs soft,rw 0 0
> presto:/disk2 /diskA-2 nfs soft,rw 0 0
>
> Then attempted to mount presto disks
> mount -h presto -v
> mount: presto:/disk2 server not responding: Port mapper failure - Timed out
> mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
> mount: retrying
>    /diskA-2
> mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
> mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
> mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
> mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
>
> Could someone identify problem & suggest corrective action?

[..snip..]

>>From SGI machine
> rpcinfo -p presto
>    program vers proto   port
>     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>     100005    3   udp    997  mountd
>     100005    3   tcp   1021  mountd
>     100005    1   udp    997  mountd
>     100005    1   tcp   1021  mountd

I think the problem is that you are missing the nfs registrations (and
possibly rstatd and nlockmgr too if you need them).    I think you can do:

nfsd -r

to re-register the entries in rpc.  You should check the process list on
presto and see if nfsd is running, and also check for rstatd, and lockd.

Eric