Question on SATA Hotplug, NCQ and Port Multiplier support

Sean Thomson psthomso at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 22:01:01 UTC 2006

> Sean Thomson wrote:> > Howdy Folks,> >  > > I'm trying to find out what the current/future support for SATA hotplug,
> > NCQ, and Port Multiplier is. Specifically, I'm tied to intel's ICH9 SATA controller
> >and pegged to implement the features if they aren't planned or available. That
> > last part is up in the air, pending what I find out and how long it'll take.> >  > > After poking around the mailing list, I found that Soren had mentioned
> > that he is working on NCQ and I can really only find references to
> > hot plug in the context of RAID. Is hot plug generally supported for
> > controllers that support it? From experience in another OS, port
> >multiplier was not even on the radar as nobody was asking for
> > it, so I'm guessing that the level of interest is just as low here.> >  > > Anyway, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!> >   > SATA hotplug/hotremoval is implemented for all chips I have access to > and that supports it.> > NCQ is planned and in the works but not for general consumption yet.> Port multipliers, well, I have had lots of trouble even locating someone > that actually has one, but a couble of days ago I got the word from one > of our supporting vendors that an evalution version should be in the > mail, more to follow on that as things unfold.> > Both NCQ and portmultipliers needs support from the chipset, so it > depends on those features being present and that I can get docs on how > its done. Docs are lacking here as usual, but at least chips that does > AHCI (Intel, JMicron and VIA) and Promise chips will be supported.> > -Søren> >
Thanks Søren, I appreciate the response. The chipset is an intel AHCI chipset,
so its covered.

As far as the port multiplier is concerned, I found one by Silicon Image
(CGS-3726-A1).  It should work. If you don't get one from your supporting
vendor, let me know and I'll see if I can get the one I just mentioned

thanks!
Sean