Per CPU cpu-statistics under SMP

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Sun Apr 23 11:33:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:40:49AM +0200, Marco van Tol wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:26:27AM +0000, Marco van Tol wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 06:38:26PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Ah, hmm.  On 6.x we don't have per-thread stat ticks yet, which is
> > > probably why it is failing.  It also isn't safe to move sched_lock
> > > down either on 6.x.  You can still apply the rest of the patch by
> > > hand, just leave the 'mtx_lock_spin(&sched_lock)' where it is and
> > > change all the 'cp_time[FOO]++' to 'PCPU_LAZY_INC(cp_time[FOO])'.
> >
> > OK, thanks.
> >
> > What I will do is replace my gentoo partition with a BSD current partition
> > so I don't loose my workstation as it were, and use that to work on this.
> >
> > Will let you know how that goes.  Thanks.
>
> Ha! It succeeded. :)

[...]

I got it to work in non-client/server mode, and am working on making it also
work in client/server mode. (gkrellmd as opposed to gkrellm)

Is there anything you can say regarding an estimate on when per-cpu specific
stats will hit the official CURRENT and STABLE branches?

Are you interested in what I did to gkrellm so far?  All that was necessary
was a small patch to src/sysdeps/freebsd.c in the gkrellm tree as far as
making it work with your patch was concerned.  I can send the patch to your
email adres, or make it available on my website. :)

Marco

--
Gisteren is het niet gelukt.