FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Apr 14 01:09:42 UTC 2006

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

{...}

> Several times now I have had Linux servers (and production quality ones,
> not built by me ones :-)) die in a somewhat similar fashion.  In every
> case the cause has been either a flaky disk or a flaky disk controller,
> or some combination.

I've seen an instance of somewhat similar symptoms where a power supply
was sagging out of spec on one supply rail some time after startup.
When some disk activity happened, the extra power consumption caused the
voltage to sag further triggering the disk going AWOL.

At the time this started to happen, the power supply was more than 12
months old.