anyone using security/dropbear?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Sep 29 11:14:16 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 02:10:55PM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
> I've tried using the dropbear client (0.46), built both from source and
> ports, and consistently get this message:
>
>   dbclient: Warning: Reading the random source seems to have blocked.
>   If you experience problems, you probably need to find a better entropy
>   source.
>
> Googling for this diagnostic yields essentially no info, so I don't
> know if there's something weird about my FBSD install (4.11-R).
>
> Has anyone seen this before, or have any advice on the matter?

Check the source.. is it using /dev/urandom (which never blocks), or
/dev/random (which I still don't think blocks, but may return short
reads).  Either way, it sounds like some level of application bug...it
probably should be using the former source, but even if it's not, it
shouldn't be blocking.

Kris