Linksys WRT54G with freebsd

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 23 08:34:13 PDT 2005

In message: <433418B1.3020207 at samsco.org>
            Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> writes:
: There has been talk of doing this in the past year from some people, but
: I don't know if it got very far.  If you're inspired, go for it!  There
: are plenty of docs on the web about how to attach a serial port header
: and bootstrap it.  And, don't underestimate the mips32 work that is
: already in the tree; it's likely a good starting point.

I believe that these are only in p4.  The only mips things that I
could find in my current tree were the atheros drivers.

The p4 stuff is a port of the netbsd mips code with a lot of stuff
ripped out.  I'm not sure that the right stuff remains, since it was
targeted at modern mips devices.  Yet many new mips devices use
'ancient' design.  I don't think that the WRT54G uses such things, but
you never can tell with mips cores :-).

: And, it's more than just a 'coolness' factor.  I'd really like to have
: pf running on mine, that way I could rid of the clunky machine doing
: static NAT + firewall on my DSL line.  THe linux firewall capabilities
: are soooooo last century =-)

Totally agreed!

Warner