BGP & reverse dns

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Thu Sep 22 11:46:35 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 12:00:47PM +0000, freebsd-hackers-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:51:49 -0600
> From: Steve Suhre <tech at nano.net>
> Subject: BGP & reverse dns
> To: freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org
>
> I have a client who's using BGP on their own network but use our mail
> servers. They're having trouble sending mail because the server here
> can't resolve the IP address back to their network. And if I run the IP
> through DNSStuff.com it returns an infinite loop error. They claim they
> aren't having trouble anywhere else though....
>
> I don't want to turn off reverse lookups, is there anyway to get around
> this? Or a simple fix on their end? I know nothing about BGP routing...
> We're running sendmail, and spammassassin through procmail. The mail
> problem started recently when we upgraded sendmail and added
> spamassassin, but their DNS/BGP problems have been there for a while....

  This question belongs on a different list; I'd normally say
freebsd-questions, but it has nothing to do with FreeBSD at all as far
as I can see.  Try inet-access or some similar mailing list which deals
with Internet access and configuration issues.

  To save a little list bandwidth and give you a starting point for
that list, my tip is forget about BGP unless it's proved that there is
a routing problem.  The routing protocol your client is running (BGP)
has nothing to do with DNS; these operate on completely different
network layers.  Useful tools for resolving DNS problems are "dig",
"host", and "whois"; these will let you tell what name server is
responsible and whether there is a problem with their name servers.

  The immediate question to look into would be who delegated their
address space to them, and what name server is responsible for its
rDNS.
  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
  "My own personal theory is that this is the very dawn of the world.
We're hardly more than an eyeblink away from the fall of Troy, and
scarcely an interglaciation removed from the Altamira cave painters. We
live in extremely interesting ancient times.
  I like this idea. It encourages us to be earnest and ingenious and
brave, as befits ancestral peoples; but keeps us from deciding that
because we don't know all the answers, they must be unknowable and thus
unprofitable to pursue."  -- Teresa Nielsen Hayden, 1995