network settings

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 21 23:00:16 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:37:25AM +0100, eoghan wrote:
> [... rc.conf ...]
> Also, my network assign ip's to each pc on the network.
> I noticed in the conf the ip was specified, which can
> change... is there any way of doing this in the rc.conf?

So you have a DHCP server in your network.

You can configure the interface in FreeBSD, so that it makes
use of the DHCP service. To get ip address, network mask,
default route, DNS servers automatically.

All you need to do is to configure the interface in
/etc/rc.conf with
....="DHCP"

You may also configure everything static for your machine
if you know, if there are some IPs in your network reserved
for static IPs.

Typically Servers get static IPs and DNS entries on a network.

If you are working with a laptop and have to use different
settings for your system, lets say in one network DHCP, in
another location you need a certain static ip, then you
can have a look at the port sysutils/personality.

It helps you to add system files to kind of a "flat file
repository". Then you can save these file under a name
of your choice.

You simply restore the settings, whenever you change to
a location which needs different settings and reboot.

Another method is to put it very early in a system
startup file. But this method is tricky. Not too early
and not too late in the system boot process ... It needs
surely some fiddeling and trial and error ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.4
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/