network settings

Zera William Holladay zholla1 at uic.edu
Sun Sep 18 13:50:38 PDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, eoghan wrote:

> Hello
> Im pretty new the freeBSD. Im working with 5.3. Each time I start up
> the computer I have to go to /usr/sbin/sysintall and configure it to
> use my network. I plugged directly in and Im not sure why I have to
> set this up each time.
> Also, when I go to configure -> networking -> interfaces it shows my
> network card (3COM) but gives an error about not finding the
> dhcpclient (but it still works). Wondering if theres a way to make it
> save my changes? Or is the issue related to the dhcp client?
> Thanks
> Eoghan

See man rc.conf

There is a file /etc/rc.conf that controls pretty much every boot
configuration option.  You may have some bad entries in that file or you
may have to set it up correctly.  Read that man page, please.  There is
also an awesome handbook at freebsd.org.  I hope that helps.

-Zera Holladay