need hints to recover lost FreeBSD partition entries in MBR ...

Andreas Klemm andreas at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 12 09:45:09 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:30:51AM +0200, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Le Dimanche 11 septembre 2005 à 20:24 +0200, Andreas Klemm a écrit :
> > fdisk -u did the trick to interactively edit the partition table.
> >
> > Confusing was then, that the previous FreeBSD partitions
> > /dev/ad4s3d and /dev/ad4s4d were not present anymore.
> >
> > I had to use /dev/ad4s3c and /dev/ad4s4.
> >
> > But now I luckily was able to mount my old filesystems.
> >
> > Am now in the process of cleaning up.
> >
> > Thanks for all the help.
>
> 	Too late but you might want to have a look at sysutils/testdisk.

hmmm ... are you sure that it not only displays the
filling of mounted filesystems ?

>From the ports description it looks to me:
	"`disktool' is a good sysadmin tool for monitoring
	diskfull situations to avoid datafile corruption."

My situation was way different, since I lost my partition
table in MBR and was not able to mount anything since I needed
to reconstructure the partitiontable using fdisk 1st.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.4
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/