JFS2 on freebsd

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Fri Sep 9 00:07:58 PDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:

> would a port of JFS2 be of interest to freebsd core?
> thanks
> -kamal

There are many things that would be of interest to FreeBSD users, but
that's not a good reason to start a project.  If you're motivated only
because you think others desire your work, you'll probably give up when
you have to start dealing with all the realities of the project.  However,
if you're motivated because *you* want to port JFS2, then you'll probably
do a good job of it.

So, of course support for new filesystem support is good, but my personal
opinion is that JFS2 isn't worth your time, for two reasons:

a)  Even if it's BSD licensed, it's unlikely to displace UFS as our
default filesystem.

b)  It's not a widely used filesystem, so it doesn't really increase our
interoperability with other OSes.

OTOH, updating our ext2 code, or ntfs code (if that's even possible) would
be something of use to many people, I suspect.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack