Project in FreeBSD.

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Sep 7 09:21:13 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 05:39:30PM +0530, Pranav Peshwe wrote:
> Hello,
>         I am a final year CS student and wish to do a project in the
> FBSD kernel or networking domains.
> I am a part of a project group of four and we have the project as a part
> of syllabus for the final year.
>
>       Ideas we could think of were :
>
> 1) Dynamically Configurable IO schedulers and scheduling policy.
>     - similar to the project mentioned on the SOC page for FBSD.

This was selected for a SoC project.

> 2) Creating a program which would save the state of  the kernel at
>     some instant.Then if the kernel panics,the saved state will be restored.
>     Especially useful for kernel level development which can cause frequent
>     panics.

As a debugging feature, this doesn't seem all that useful to me unless
you add the ability to switch out code at run time.  That said
the ability to write system state to disk is a necessicary component of
suspend to disk support.  My understanding is that under ACPI, the OS
has to do most of the work.  If you're intrested in this project, I
suggest asking for details on the freebsd-acpi list.

> Could anybody please comment on the above ideas.
> I do not know whether they are already implemented and included in the
> mainline distro.
>
> We would also like to hear about any other ideas related to FBSD.
> We would be very happy to contribute our bit to the development of
> FBSD.

There's a project suggestions page under development.  Hopefully it will
appear soon.

-- Brooks