Why is our symbol lookup the way it is?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 6 23:06:47 PDT 2005

This is something that's been bothering me for a while, ever since I
fixed the symbol conflicts in Mozilla with -Bsymbolic.  Why do we not
look in the referencing object first by default?  I'm referring to the
great comments in the symlook_default() function in rtld.c.  We only
check the referencing object first when -Bsymbolic is passed to the
linker.

The main reason I'm asking is that I just tracked down another symbol
conflict in a dlopen'd library that plagues us but not Linux.  I assume
there was a good reason for resolving symbols in the order we do, but
admittedly, I don't understand enough of the linker to know what it is.
Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org